Residential Architects | Ashleigh Clarke
Ashleigh Clarke Architects

Residential Architects

Residential Architecture DesignBeautiful, residential spaces designed for living

Ashleigh Clarke Architects are primarily residential home architects. We work on a variety of high end residential new builds and refurbishments. We offer bespoke designs for one-off new build houses and alterations and extensions to Listed and non-listed historic buildings in the Cotswolds.

What makes us different at Ashleigh Clarke is that we believe that the secret of great architectural design is simply understanding the client inside out.

Most clients come with a clear vision of what they want, from a new build to a home office extension and why they want it. What we find inspiring is hearing your ideas and walking around the proposed site with you.

It’s your aspirations for your space, home or your workspace that are the springboard for our inspiration and architectural design.

Often, the solution to a tricky design challenge is cracked by our clients themselves. If you listen to peoples’ ideas and give them time to absorb the challenge and think about things, they often come up with the solution.

We believe in client-led design. Because you have to live with it every day.


Extension to Detached Cotswold Stone Home, Cotswolds

We designed this ambitious side and rear extension to a detached Cotswold home, making a sustainable choice to use Cotswold stone so that the old and new buildings felt like one home. The glazed panels allow maximum light to flood the interior spaces and have created breath-taking views of the surrounding gardens. Our client was keen to use the newly-created additional space for a more spacious living and garden room.

Construction is due to be completed in 2022.

What is an Architect?

You cannot legally call yourself an Architect unless you have degree level training (5 years) and a minimum of 2 years practical training affiliated to an architectural practice.

Professional residential architects are responsible for the planning, design and construction of a building or extension. They collaborate with other professionals such as construction companies, quantity surveyors, structural engineers and Heritage officers and fully understand building regulations.

Ashleigh Clark is a fully qualified and registered Architect with the ARB, Architects Registration Board which regulates the profession and a member of RIBA. The ARB and RIBA set the standards of ethics and best practice.

Do I need Planning Permission?

You’ll need Planning Permission if you want to build something new, make a major structural change such as an extension, or change the use of your building – from residential to retail, or from residential to commercial. Obtaining the correct Planning Permissions, and other permissions you may need if your building is Listed or in a Conservation Area, is a key stage in your project process and we are experts in this field, especially with Heritage properties. We supply full architectural drawings and visual renders along with the permission application to give the application the best chance of a positive outcome.

We cannot guarantee that every Planning Permission will succeed first time, but we will give yours the best reports, drawings and plans to accompany the permissions procedure. If you think you might not need Planning Permission, check with us and also consider how your proposed building will affect your neighbours and also the environment and surrounding landscape.

I’m planning to renovate a room in my house. Do I need an architect or a designer?

Some minor interior projects such as installing new cupboards in a kitchen or a fitted wardrobe in a bedroom do not require Planning Permission as you are not structurally altering the building or changing its exterior.

Not all architects will say so, but you are not legally obliged to use an architect. It has wide benefits (see our Why use an architect? FAQ) and does give you peace of mind. However, if you decide not to it’s still a very good idea to use a trained architectural technician just in case your planned work will interfere with the structural integrity of the existing building.

If your building is listed, you should always engage an architect. If you overlook a neighbouring property, or if you’re remodelling space inside your home, an architect will be worth the money.

Do I need to use an architect for the full process; or just at the beginning for the designs and getting planning permission?

You drive the process at all times. Sometimes we are engaged up to the Planning or Building Regulations stage at other times we concept, design and oversee the construction of the entire project. Some clients choose to manage the construction and site management themselves and we can visit your site just to check progress. This is charged at an hourly rate.