Ashleigh Clarke Architects

Barn Conversion

Barn Conversions Planning to convert a barn to a house?

Barn conversions make stunning, spacious homes full of character, but they weren’t built for human comfort and they weren’t always built to last! With their oak beams, stonework and timber cladding, barns are an integral part of the Cotswold landscape. Many, however, are in a poor state of repair or need complex technical engineering to ensure that extra floors, adequate water and heating, even internal staircases can be safely added. It’s not simply age that is against many barns – modern barn conversions can throw up just as many structural issues as traditional ones. But for all our clients, barn conversions are well worth the extra effort and permissions to create unique living spaces.

We design in tandem with structural engineers and surveyors as well as the conservation advisors to provide a complete solution from the foundations up.

Barn Conversion, Cotswolds

We are genuinely proud of this full barn conversion and extension to transform the existing derelict barn into a residential building. We provided these visual renders – images to help our clients to visualise the concept. Having got the Planning Permission, we are moving on to the next design stage and construction will begin shortly.

This is an ambitious design, using a glass-panelled bridge to connect the new extension with the original barn. It is a great example of a successful, sympathetic combination of traditional and contemporary. The finished residential barn will be completed in 2022 and will use local materials.

A beautiful, functional space that will last generations.

“We really enjoyed seeing the early design development of our home pottery barn studio come to life through Ashleigh's drawings and CGI's - His work and ideas really helped us to envisage our dream space and how it would function in real terms. We are delighted to be moving forward with Ashleigh Clarke Architects at the helm.”

I have a Listed Building, who should I go to for architectural advice?

As Cotswold based architects, we are specialists in alterations to Listed Buildings Grades I and II and work in close collaboration with The Heritage Advisory. Many of our projects are either Listed or Heritage sites and we offer expert professional advice on sympathetic, architectural alterations to traditional Cotswold buildings.

I want to convert a barn to residential. What additional permissions do I need?

You will need Planning Permission and change of use permission. You may not need full Planning Permission and should apply for Class Q Permitted Development if:

  • the building was in agricultural use on or before 20th March 2013
  • it is not a Listed Building, or in an AONB, National Park or a conservation are

Paragraph 79 is the country house exemption clause. You may be able to get permission to build “an exceptional one-off house on a site where refusal would normally be expected.”

Read more FAQs (embedded link to FAQs)